Tuesday, September 8, 2020

A Friend Comes to Visit

A friend of mine who shares my interest in alt Japanese fashion came to visit me yesterday. 

He wore ouji and I dressed as so:
I am standing in front of my mirror showing my full coordinate. I have a green cutsew ontop of a green JSK with oldschool lace. I am wearing a boater hat, ankle socks and white heels.

Coordinate:
Hat, cutsew, jumperskirt, shoes: Baby, the Stars Shine Bright
Socks: Bodyline
Purse: Offbrand

We walked around looking for a place to buy lunch, but everything was closed because it was a Holiday. Also, it was incredibly windy. It is a good thing that I wear bloomers. Strangers definitely saw them. Urgh. 
I wont share a photo of my friends' coordinate but he wore a white ruffle blouse with a black vest jacket and pants and a fancy hat from Alice and the Pirates:
A stock photo of the Alice and the Pirates hat. It is brown and large with chains hanging off the front with the brand's logo. There are feathers sticking out of the back of the hat. The brim is upturned at the front.
Knights of St. Lily Hat A

When we were walking around, we got a lot of compliments. Way more than I would ever normally receive. I wonder, is it because my friend was with me? Are people more impressed to see a man dressed very fancy whereas they aren't as surprised to see women wear something unusual? Or is it because they don't normally want to bother a woman on her own? Anyone who wears lolita and has walked around in public with an ouiji friend, have you noticed any such difference?

We ended up returning to my apartment, ordering food for delivery and watched Pom Poko which none of us had ever seen before. It was both cute and sad. 

I've actually been watching a lot of movies and television shows recently. I'm all caught up on the new Fruits Basket. Shane and I also started watching Seinfeld which I have never seen before. The first season was in 1989 and wow... It's very interesting to me to see how our culture has changed. I also appreciate the costume design as well. 

I had this thought recently: why aren't there lolita undershirts? Lolita bloomers are a thing sold by brands. But undershirts aren't, are they? However, I often like to wear an undershirt and I know there are many other people who do as well. I wonder why this is, or if brands have sold them and I've just missed it. 

1 comment:

  1. Huh, that is a very interesting point about attracting more attention when with an ouji. There probably is a little bit of both of what you said, the fancy men not being so common and not wanting to come across wrong when approaching a woman on her own? It could also be that people assumed you to be a couple, so they felt both more comfortable approaching and more curious because "oh look, what an interesting pair they make, maybe there's some amazing story behind this" or whatever? I'm certainly very curious, though sadly, there are no men in my comm who wear ouji.

    I've seen brands do tank top-style cutsews, mostly waaay back in the day, and they definitely did proper pyjamas once too. But since most dresses are worn with a blouse or cutsew underneath, they probably didn't think of making undershirts. But also, if the undershirt is too detailed, then it could be visible through the outer layers in a way that isn't particularly attractive - but if the undershirt is too simple, then only a few people would pay brand prices for that when there are perfectcly good undershirts available elsewhere. So brands probably just never thought it to be a viable idea?

    ReplyDelete

Ramblings on a Sunday

 It's the first time I've worn lolita in a while.  My coordinate for church: I can't wait to get my new bag from Cotton Candy Sh...