Sunday, July 21, 2019

Restoring a Coaster + Delft Lotta

I have had this really pretty coaster for a while now. I do not even know where it came from. It's damaged and I had meant to fix it so much sooner but now that I've left it so long, the damages are so bad that I need to restore the image on the coaster.

A damaged coaster that shows an image of an English cottage surrounded by roses sits on a table with a paint tray, paints and water.

I decided to go ahead and finally fix it now that I have access to all my art supplies. First I had to apply glue to paste down parts of the image that were coming loose and would soon come off. Then, I began to apply paint onto the parts of the image that are missing.
An image of the coaster showing parts of the image are missing as they have peeled away.
I didn't think to take this picture until I'd already applied clear glue to save the parts that are left and began painting.
I'm just starting with a base of the colours and will fill in details later. 
A base of paint has been applied to most of the damaged areas of the coaster. Still needs a lot of work.
After applying a base of paint.
One thing I did not do was repair the background yet. It's stained, most likely from tea. I need to create a proper off-white to do this but felt it should be left until everything else had dried. This is probably going to be a long project as there are many fine details in the image. I will have to decide just how detailed I will go into what I add back in. Once the painting is done, I will have to make sure to seal it.


Here is a coordinate on my dress form for my new Delft Lotta jumperskirt from Innocent World. Somehow I wound up with what I am pretty sure is the long version. >;( I've been trying to decide whether or not I want to alter it, wait to find the short version for sale or just run with it and try out a long style dress. I am really digging this dress and this coordinate I've created. I can't believe I was able to find the matching head bow as well. It's a perfect size <3 The material is quite light-weight and doesn't seem to require ironing. The material is not the exact same as my Marie Rose dress, but the effect is the same. They are both a nice polyester. 

Coordinate Rundown:
Dress: Delft Lotta - Innocent World
Bolero: Enchanted Midnight Spell - Baby, the Stars Shine Bright
Blouse: Rose Lace Tulle Blouse - Beth
Head Bow: Delft Lotta - Innocent World
Shoes: Unknown - Baby, the Stars Shine Bright
Socks: Unknown - Innocent World

Btw, delft is a type of pottery art from Europe (English or Dutch, I guess) which typically has an image in blue on a white background. Cool to know where this dress got such an odd (to me) name!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, best of luck with your restoration! There was a programme on BBC called The Repair Shop, where they showed various restoration projects done by pros, this is a lot of very detailed and precise work. I think it will be worth it though :)

    ReplyDelete

Ramblings on a Sunday

 It's the first time I've worn lolita in a while.  My coordinate for church: I can't wait to get my new bag from Cotton Candy Sh...