Thursday, August 8, 2019

Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions: A Cookbook REVIEW

Since cooking is one of my hobbies, I've decided to include some cookbook reviews on my blog. I am especially interested in the cuisines of different cultures. One food culture that I have spent an excessive amount of time learning is Japanese (surprise). I believe I was originally inspired by anime since many of them include scenes of people eating. Another appeal is that it is such a different food culture than the European-based one I am used to. Okay, I am diverging from the topic at hand!

The Kansha cookbook. It shows a Japanese radish known as daikon prepared in a variety of ways.
According to the author, Kansha means something along the lines of thankfulness or gratitude.

This book is really for someone that enjoys cooking as a hobby. The recipes are more difficult because there are a significant number of detailed steps. I find that when I cook these recipes, I must refer back to the book often. It is ironic, because I think my palette is really not refined, so if I were to mess up steps (as I have done many times) I am not sure I could even tell the difference.

I have yet to tackle every single recipe in the book, but below are some of my favourite ones I have made so far:

  • Skillet-Seared Daikon with Yuzu
  • Heaven and Earth Tempura Pancakes
  • Gingery Enoki Mushrooms with Carrots
  • Crispy and Creamy Kabocha Croquettes
  • Peppery Kelp Squares

I've found some recipes are also difficult to follow because the cooking times do not always work out. For example, it might say to cook something for x minutes but then it does not end up cooked enough.

Unfortunately, I'm not spectacular at documenting everything I've made. So I don't have much in they way of pictures.
Julienned root vegetables lightly battered and then deep friend in small bunches. The end product sits on a paper towel with lemon wedges.
Winter pancakes from the Heaven and Earth tempura pancakes recipe

Peppery kelp squares, which we refer to as rice friends (as they are mentioned in the book) is a recipe that I have revisited so many times. They are an excellent addition to plain rice and also with yuba. It is not a main recipe, but a garnish.

I have a new Japanese cookbook on its way to me. It is Japanese Cooking: Contemporary & Traditional [Simple, Delicious, and Vegan]! I have been wanting this book since 2012. Now that I'm done university and have more time to dedicate towards cooking, I am excited to add this book to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ramblings on a Sunday

 It's the first time I've worn lolita in a while.  My coordinate for church: I can't wait to get my new bag from Cotton Candy Sh...